|Real Name||Roger Aubrey|
|Aliases||Dyna-Mite, The Mighty Destroyer|
|Relatives||Brian Falsworth (partner)|
|Affiliation||Head of the Penance Council of the V-Battalion; formerly Crusaders|
|Base Of Operations||Symkaria|
|Occupation||Retired, formerly V-Battalion leader, adventurer, freedom fighter|
|Education||Unfinished college degree|
|Hair||Blond (later white)|
|Place of Birth||presumably London, England|
|Creators||Roy Thomas, Frank Robbins|
|All Winners #8|
He was subjected to experiments conducted by Colonel Dietrich, and was shrunk to a height of 12 inches. Brainwashed, he returned to the U.K. as Dyna-Mite, to become a member of the Crusaders, a group of Allied superheroes who each unwittingly owed their powers to the Nazis; unknown to the team, their ally Alfie was a German agent, and the group had been formed with the intention of discrediting the Invaders and assassinating King George VI. After encountering that other team of heroes, Alfie's villainy was exposed by Roger, and the evil plan was thwarted. Colonel Dietrich was subsequently captured and forced to reverse the process which shrank Roger; Aubrey then took on the new identity of the Destroyer (recently abandoned by Brian Falsworth), and went behind enemy lines to continue the fight.
At some point he was exposed to the variant of the super-soldier serum which had enhanced Brian's physical prowess, which would retard his aging and keep him fighting fit for decades after the end of the war.
Once the war ended, Roger joined Brian and several other heroes in secretly forming a covert group, the V-Battalion, dedicated to preventing anyone like Hitler from ever again threatening the peace of the world. When Brian died in a car crash in 1953, Roger offered to take on the identity as a tribute to his lover, but was denied by Brian's father Montgomery. Instead he soldiered on as the Destroyer, leading the V-Battalion into the 21st century. He recently was forced to re-evaluate his aggressive position after being temporarily killed, and handed over the Battalion's leadership to the more moral hands of Jim Hammond (the Human Torch).
When the Thin Man revived the Invaders, Roger became wary of his true goals, and began to investigate. He called on the group for assistance against the forces of Baroness Blood, during which fight he came to accept Joseph Chapman as a worthy Union Jack successor to Brian. Following this, Roger and his ally Hammond confronted the Thin Man, and effectively deposed him as leader of the Invaders. Soon after, Hammond apparently died fighting the forces of Axis Mundi, and Roger resumed leadership of the V-Battalion.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
- Shrinking: The Destroyer retains the ability to shrink down to 12" tall, while maintaining his full strength level. He keeps this power a close secret to maintain the advantage of surprise.
- Fighting Skill: Destroyer is an exceptional hand-to-hand fighter with decades of experience.
In spite of his advanced years, the Destroyer possesses the strength of a man in the prime of his life who engages in intense regular exercise.
- The Crusaders were created as counterparts to the Freedom Fighters (Golden Age characters originally owned by Quality Comics, and later, at the time in question, by D.C.) Simultaneously to the Invaders encountering the Crusaders, each one of whom was an analogue of one of the Freedom Fighters, over in the Freedom Fighter's title, that team also encountered a group called the Crusaders, each one of whom mapped onto a member of the Invaders. In Dyna-Mite's case, he was a tip-of-the-hat to Doll Man.
Roger was in a homosexual relationship with Brian Falsworth (Earth-616) the second Union Jack, making them the first chronologically gay characters in Marvel Comics.
- 43 Appearances of Roger Aubrey (Earth-616)
- Media Roger Aubrey (Earth-616) was Mentioned in
- 4 Images featuring Roger Aubrey (Earth-616)
- Quotations by or about Roger Aubrey (Earth-616)
- Character Gallery: Roger Aubrey (Earth-616)
- Fan-Art Gallery: Roger Aubrey (Earth-616)
List of Appearances
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
|Like this? Let us know!|