- The name's Daredevil... remember it! You'll be hearing it again... I promise!!
- -- Daredevil
Appearing in "The Origin of Daredevil"Edit
- Daredevil (Matt Murdock) (First appearance) (Appears in flashback and main story)
- Foggy Nelson (First appearance) (Appears in flashback and main story)
- Karen Page (First appearance) (Appears in flashback and main story)
- Fixer (Only appearance; dies) (Appears in flashback and main story)
- Porky (Appears in flashback and main story)
- Sam (Appears in flashback and main story)
- Slade (Appears in flashback and main story)
- Battling Murdock (Only appearance; dies) (Only in flashback)
- Rocky Davis (First appearance) (Only in flashback)
- New York policemen (Appears in flashback and main story)
- New York City, New York State
- Daredevil's Billy Club (First appearance) (Appears in flashback and main story)
Synopsis for "The Origin of Daredevil"Edit
One night at Fogwell's gym, a number of the bruisers that work there are enjoying a game of cards, when they're interrupted by the arrival of Daredevil, who has come looking for their boss, the Fixer. Fighting them, Daredevil reflects back to his past, and the events that led to his becoming this new costumed hero:
Daredevil is Matthew Murdock, son of "Battling" Jack Murdock, a prize fighter past his prime, who wants his son to get a real education instead of fighting. While his father tries to find honest work, his son is taunted by his peers and so begins training in secret.
One day, while Jack has no other choice but to sign up with the Fixer, a shady fight organizer, Matt saves a blind old man from being run over in the street, but gets run over himself. The chemical truck spilling its radioactive waste on Matt, blinding him. Matt soon realizes that all of his other senses have been heightened from this accident and continues his training.
Meanwhile, "Battling" Jack is experiencing a come back that restores his self-esteem. Matt ends up going to law school and befriends Foggy Nelson. One night, the Fixer orders Jack to throw a fight, however when he refuses and instead wins the match, the Fixer has Jack killed.
After his father's funeral, Matt graduates from law school and opens his own law firm with Foggy and they hire a secretary named Karen Page. Meanwhile, Matt decides to avenge his father by taken up the costumed identity of Daredevil, creating a costume and converting his walking stick into a billy club weapon to fight crime with.
Returning to the present, Daredevil continues to fight the Fixer's men, while across the city Foggy goes to find Matt to help him to work, but he doesn't find him either at home or at the office. When he asks Karen she shows tender sympathy for Matt's condition.
Back where the action is, Daredevil finds the Fixer and tracks him down to the subway with his keen senses. Switching back to his Daredevil guise, he chases the Fixer down the subway terminal until the Fixer suffers a severe heart attack. After the police round up the rest of his crew, Daredevil returns to his civilian guise and shows up for work, his co-workers worried about his well being.
- This issue is reprinted in Sons of Origins of Marvel Comics, Marvel Super-Heroes Special #1, Marvel Masterworks #17, Fantastic Firsts #1, and Essential Daredevil #1.
- No trivia.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Daredevil Vol 1 1 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Daredevil series
- Images from Daredevil Vol 1 1
- The first real appearance of Carl Creel/Rocky Davis/Absorbing Man is in Journey into Mystery #114.
Links and ReferencesEdit
|Like this? Let us know!|