- Once, long ago, I led this group. The great men of this place believed in the future -- in the infinite human experience. Now, I have been warned that the council -- these new men of the shield -- believe in something different: a logical conclusion...inevitability...an end. I have come to shatter this notion. And on that rubble, reconstruct a better way. I am a builder of great things, Leonid...and these men have stood on my shoulders for far too long.
The Brotherhood of the Shield is an ancient organization created to keep earth safe. The group has ties leading back to the early dynasties of ancient Egypt. Imhotep created the organization after fighting alongside the Immortal mutant Apocalypse and the first Moon Knight against the alien invasion of the Brood. One member of the group Zhang Heng who tricked the Celestial Madonna into using the sun to give birth to its child instead of destroying the Earth or the Moon to do so. Galileo later battled the devourer of worlds Galactus. Leonardo da Vinci was also a prominent member inventing mysterious device which allows him to travel off in an ornithopter. One of the longest reigning leader of the group was Sir Isaac Newton, who kept his position by murdering Galileo and many others across the centuries. He also tortured Nostradamus to learn future events.
Back in 1953 just after the death of Joseph Stalin the leader of the Soviet Union. Two prominent Shield agents billionaire industrialist Howard Stark and scientist Dr. Nathaniel Richards recruit a mysterious young man named Leonid, who possessed amazing superhuman powers. They take the powerful young man taking him to the Brotherhood of the Shield High Council in the Immortal City under Rome. The High Council reveals aware of the "The Final Fate of Man", and they have appointed themselves the task of protecting the Earth until that event. They reveal to Leonid that he has a destiny to help in their endeavor
Leonid spends three years working with the group before being visited by adopted father the Nikola Tesla aka the Night Machine. He had battled against the Shield in the past but was apparently been killed by them. He gives his son the key to a secret area of the headquarters, saying his destiny cannot be dictated by others. The famed artist Michelangelo was also the Forever Man who possesed powers to manipulate space and time. Night Machine received his cybernetic implants from the Forever Man. It was through this they discovered that Leonids biological father was Sir Isaac Newton.
Leonid meets Leonardo da Vinci, who has apparently traveled through time to use his device to save the world. Da Vinci's return was met with resistance from Isaac Newton who saw it as a threat to his reign as leader of the organization. This eventually leads to the organization splitting into two factions; one led by Newton and one led by Da Vinci. However the the child of a Celestial, the Star Child, is picked up by Da Vinci from the sun.
Stark, Richards and Night Machine travel to the Immortal City and try to stop the two battling factions by putting the decision of leadership in to Leonid's hand on whom is right, he chooses Da Vinci over Newton, while he escapes in to the future.
Equipment: None known.
Transportation: None known.
Weapons: None known.
- No special notes.
- No trivia.
- 11 Brotherhood of the Shield (Earth-616) Members
- 11 Appearances of Brotherhood of the Shield (Earth-616)
- Media Brotherhood of the Shield (Earth-616) was Mentioned in
- 3 Images that include Brotherhood of the Shield (Earth-616)
- Team Gallery: Brotherhood of the Shield (Earth-616)
- Fan-Art Gallery: Brotherhood of the Shield (Earth-616)
Links and References