The classic model of the gauntlets debuts in Amazing Spider-man #86 along with a new leather skin-tight suit that the Black Widow currently wears. S.H.I.E.L.D. implanted the gauntlets with special technology that enabled them to be used for decades. They primarily shoot a cable for swinging and fire the "Widow's Bite".
Originally Natasha’s gauntlets were more akin to bracelets (actually they are called bracelets by the KGB), and they had no offensive purpose. Like Spider-man’s web-shooters, they generated a piece of string for her to swing around on, but unlike Spider-man’s web-shooters, they couldn’t tie up enemies or incapacitate. Nor that they demonstrate unlikely teenage scientific brilliance.
The gauntlets undergone some revamps or upgrades, among the cases was when it was first debuted in Amazing Spider-man #86, where the Widow gets a sudden inspiration to try and find a way to combine Spider-Man's powers with her own abilities. She decides to abandon her old costume and design a new one, as part of her "rebirth". The newly designed gauntlets were described as shooting ropes and venom-sting bracelets. She fled from Spiderman, in a battle to see who's stronger, and thinking that it was wrong to try and get the secrets to Spider-Man's powers, and that her own abilities are unique to her and that she should forge her own destiny.
The current gauntlets and the equipments it contains are upgraded and maintained by S.H.I.E.L.D. and the Widow, by being the owner, herself. Natalia Romanoff uses a number of special equipment contained in her gauntlets:
- Widow's Line - Retractable grappling hook and cable connected to the gauntlets, mostly used for rooftop gliding, rappelling and climbing up steep cliffs and hills.
- Widow's Kiss - An aerosol instant knock-out drug, pioneered by Russian Spetsnaz. When used it appears to be purplish pink fumes that can knock out a person for more than twenty hours.
- Widow's Bite - A high frequency electrostatic charge that also act as percussive energy blasts, that it effects can be felt for at least a month. It can deliver charges up to 30,000 volts. The "Bite" can be set to deliver minor shocks that causes stunning or high voltage currents that can be lethal.
- Explosives - There are many types of explosives stored in the gauntlet which includes grenades and other types of explosives that can cause damage to an opponent.
- Tear Gas Pellets - There is also tear in the gauntlet that can cause blindness when released. It can also cause the opponent to be knocked unconscious.
- Radio Transmitter - This enable Widow to lock on to a target and track its every move. If placed on a moving vehicle like a car or bike, it enables Widow to track down their location.
- No special notes.
- No trivia.
- Appearances of Black Widow's Gauntlets
- Images featuring Black Widow's Gauntlets
- Item Gallery: Black Widow's Gauntlets
- Fan-Art Gallery: Black Widow's Gauntlets
Links and References