- I thought our purpose was to battle crime! Why need we concern ourselves with international affairs?
- -- Quicksilver
Appearing in "When The Commissar Commands!"Edit
- New York City
- The State of Sin-Cong (First appearance)
- Sin-Cong Airdome (First appearance)
Synopsis for "When The Commissar Commands!"Edit
The Avengers receive a distress call from the communist state of Sin-Cong, where they are being ruled by the cruel Commissar. The Avengers leave to help but are attacked by the Commissar's troops on arrival. The troops are defeated, but the Scarlet Witch falls into a trap and is taken captive.
The other Avengers have to fight one-on-one with the Commissar to save her. Captain America, Hawkeye and Quicksilver are all bested. Scarlet Witch insists that the Avengers aren't defeated as she hasn't fought him yet. Using her hex power she shows that the Commissar is a robot and she short-circuits him. Sin-Cong is then liberated.
- All the Avengers were previously seen in Avengers #17, where their search for the Hulk led them into a trap set by the Mole Man.
- Although there is a Captain America story in Tales of Suspense #67, it is a flashback story from World War II.
- This is the only appearance of the Commissar.
- This cover is subtly signed by Jack Kirby and Dick Ayers. You probably can't see it in this scan. Its on the vase by Captain America's left shoulder.
- Major Hoy's name is Spanish for "today", which is ironic considering he's Chinese.
- Slyly Written by Stan Lee
- Smoothly Drawn by Don Heck
- Suavely Inked by Dick Ayers
- Superbly Lettered by Artie Simek
- Stoically Read by You (If you'll ever turn the page...!)
- No trivia.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Avengers Vol 1 18 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Avengers series
- Images from Avengers Vol 1 18
Links and ReferencesEdit
- ↑ First and only known appearance to date besides flashbacks
|Like this? Let us know!|