- I do not require sleep, Hawkeye...
- -- Vision
Appearing in "The Taking of the Avengers!"Edit
- Captain America (Steve Rogers) (Appears in flashback and main story)
- Thor (Appears in flashback and main story)
- Iron Man (Tony Stark) (Appears in flashback and main story)
- Scarlet Witch (Wanda Maximoff)
- Hawkeye (Clint Barton)(Appears in flashback and main story)
- Vision (Appears in flashback and main story)
- Beast (Hank McCoy) (Avengers applicant)
- Thor Life Model Decoy
- Zodiac (Only in flashback)
- Hydra (Only in flashback)
- Black Panther (Only in flashback)
- Destroyer (Only in flashback)
- Grim Reaper (Only in flashback)
- Moonstone (Only in flashback)
- Zzzax (Only in flashback)
- Space Phantom (Only in flashback)
- Doctor Specturm (Only in flashback)
- Magneto (Only in flashback)
- Sons of the Serpent (Only in flashback)
- Space Phantom (Only in flashback)
Synopsis for "The Taking of the Avengers!"Edit
The mysterious masked Assassin has been hired by a man who is a representative for many of the Avengers former foes. After showing the Assassin a series of recordings of various Avengers in action as a team, or in their solo careers he asks the Assassin if the masked killer will take the job. After some consideration, the Assassin takes the job and vows that the Avengers will all be dead in a year.
A year later, Captain America happens upon a group of thieves robbing a store, all wearing Captain America masks. The Star Spangled Avenger battles these common thugs completely unaware that they are in the employ of the Assassin, and this is all part of the killers plan. Captain America makes short work of most of the crooks but one flees down the street, luring Captain America into firing range of the Assassin's special weapon. The blast seemingly kills Captain America, and the Assassin then calls one of the local residents who's window over looks where Captain America has fallen and ask her to call the police.
As planned, Captain America is taken to the hospital which brings in the rest of the Avengers. Thor and Iron Man arrive at the hospital first to learn that Captain America's life is slowly dwindling away, when the two contemplate if Thor should try to aid the doctors as Donald Blake, Iron Man decides it's better for them to go to his Long Island research lab. Hawkeye, having heard the news as well rushes into the hospital and toward Captain America's room. There he finds two strange creatures about to enter the Captain's room. Hawkeye fights them off however they manage to escape when they fill the hallway with gas. When he arrives outside Cap's room he finds Beast, Scarlet Witch and Vision all waiting for him. Hawkeye relieves them from watch duty, however the Vision stays behind with Hawkeye to continue to watch forward. As the night carries on both Hawkeye and Vision reflect on their relationships with Captain America.
The Avengers are completely unaware that even now the Assassin is watching their every move and is going to strike again very soon. This story is continued next issue....
- This is a fill-in story that was supposed to be printed in 'Giant Size Avengers #5' as explained in the letters page of Giant-Size Avengers #4. It takes place prior to Avengers #141.
- This issue is divided into three chapters:
- Chapter I: The Assasin Never Fails
- Chapter II: Target: Captain America
- Chapter III: The Small Hours
- This issue is reprinted in comics and books, see references for more info.
- No trivia.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Avengers Vol 1 145 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Avengers series
- Images from Avengers Vol 1 145
Links and ReferencesEdit
|Like this? Let us know!|