- There is nothing for me in the civilized world.
- -- Ai Apaec src
Ai Apaec, the Decapitator was a god worshiped by the Moche people of Peru in South America. Ai Apaec is a powerful, chimeric being who resembles a man with the lower body of a spider, snakes for hair, and long sharp teeth. Prone to cruel torture and bloodletting, he was eventually captured by US government officials and into custody in the United States of America.
Ai Apaec was taken to the Special Containment Center, supermax top-secret underwater prison for the worlds greatest psychopaths. He is kept in a cell next to some of the most dangerous criminals on the planet such as Kingmaker (Pryor Cashman) a demonic man, Xirdal a trapped alien, Carl "Carny" Rives the ghostly assassin and Dr.June Covington a psychotic scientist. After being defeated in the Siege of Asgard, Norman Osborn was imprisoned in the same facility as Ai Apaec. There, he met Father Coulmier, his secret follower who releases him from his cell.
After mocking a guard Ai Apaec is flashed with flood lights which temporarily blinds him. An alarm goes off and the guard panics, backing up towards Ai's cell. Ai grabs him and demands he be released, while June insists he release her instead. When the guard chooses to release June which is turned down anyway Ai Apaec bites his head off. Norman Osborn enters the room and releases them all provided they agree to work with him to escape.
As Ai Apaec and the other escapees battle through rioting prisoners Osborn notices they are being observed from above and asks Ai Apaec to retrieve their watcher. He jumps through the observation deck and grabs Norah Winters who has been investigating the prison for the Daily Bugle. They pile into a submarine to escape for the surface but on the way the prison explodes and damages the submarine. Ai Apaec exits the vessel and coats it in a web which provides oxygen while he pushes it to the surface. Afterwords, Osborn surrendered himself to the police and was incarcerated at the Raft, Ai Apaec then returned to his jungle home in Peru.
After Osborn escaped the Raft he decided to create a new H.A.M.M.E.R. organization and recruit an new team of Dark Avengers. They first travel to the Savage Land and recruit Skaar, the son of Hulk. Then they gain Ai Apaec, a South-American Spider God he met during his escape and managed to convince him after he gave him a a genetic-modifying drug that molds his body in the shape of Spider-Man, albeit with four added arms. They later find Barney Barton, Hawkeye's brother. Superia is then sent to recruit Tomi Shishido to the team. They also resurrect the Thor's cyborg clone Ragnarok. Superia also joins the team taken up the mantle of Ms. Marvel and June Covington aka Toxic Doxie as his new Scarlet Witch.
In Miami, Florida the New Avengers into a fight with the new Dark Avengers. Iron Fist decides to see what would happen if he "iron-fisted" a Hulk: result, Skaar flies across the battlefield and crashes into Ai Apaec. The Dark Avengers are displaying none of the New Avengers' teamwork, but the point is made moot when Superia brings their ship crashing down, scattering the fighters and wounding Mockingbird and some of the civilians. An enormous tidal wave suddenly appears and separates the two teams. The Dark Avengers begin to lose nerve, but the wave just as suddenly vanishes to reveal that the New Avengers have fled.
The Dark Avengers clash with the New Avengers again in New York with the reveal of their new member Ragnarok. After the clones defeat and before returning to New York, however, the team drop off a parting gift; the battered wreck of Ragnarok. The New Avengers arrive home to be greeted by a SWAT team, who inform them that Avengers Mansion has been seized by the government and that all of them are under arrest. The Dark Avengers, watching the live broadcast of the attack on the Avengers Mansion, find this fantastic entertainment.
Skaar is revealed to be on the side of the Avengers and effortlessly dispatches the Dark Avengers and destroys their ship before intimidating an AIM guard to lead him to the imprisoned Steve Rogers. The Dark Avengers are just starting to recover when the New Avengers arrive, summoned by Skaar. The second battle goes just as badly for them: the only fight which looks close is between Spider-Man and Ai Apaec, now reverted into his original form. The spider god eventually goes down thanks to a sudden appearance by Cap's shield. Now freed, Captain America exchanges salutes with Victoria Hand and introduces Skaar. He tells them the Dark Avengers are going to prison, and that they need to confront Osborn next.
After the Thunderbolts went missing in the time stream, the Dark Avengers were recruited as a replacement team. They were implanted with nanites in order to prevent them from going rogue, and placed under the leadership of Luke Cage. The Dark Avengers are to be sent to Sharzhad on a mission. Luke initially refuses to lead the new team but changes his mind at the last minute when he arrives with Skaar; the Dark Avengers former team mate who will be joining the team together with Cage.
The Dark Avengers embark on a mission to Sharzhad, a new country between Egypt and Libya created by Dagan Shah. The mission is to retrieve Erik Wender, whom Shah plans to use as a conduit to allow him access to his great powers around the globe as opposed to just his home country. Toxie Doxie uses her new powers to track Wender to the Northeast but they are ambushed by a giant sand version of Shah.
After a fight with Shah and his monsters, the Dark Avengers dispose of them and resume their search for Wender. Toxie Doxie uses her new abilities to sense where Wender is, using a sample of his blood. She asks Ragnarok to take her up higher. Trickshot and Apaec exchange a look and then quickly latch onto Ragnarok and leave.
Dark Avengers track down and capture Wender. Luke Cage and Skaar; as well as Dagan Shar draw closer however. Trickshot tells Ragnarok to send a lightning bolt towards Skaar and Cage. The bolt draws the attention of Shah who proceeds to attack them instead. Skaar impales Shah during the battle and appears to have killed him but Shah simply pulls out the sword. Cage tries to convince Shah that they're there for the Dark Avengers and not Shah but Shah doesn't believe him. As Skaar is charging him, Shah reaches out with his mind and uses his abilities to turn Skaar back into his human form.
Dagan Shah is distracted by a sudden explosion at his palace and he quickly leaves the battle. Meanwhile, the Dark Avengers are battling through Shah's defenses. Wender senses their target below and Ragnarok breaks through to the underground cave that is the source of Shah's power. They find a sub-space pocket containing a little universe built by the Rigellians who left it behind thousands of years ago after an attempt to colonize the Earth. The crystal formations in the pocket are what give Shah his power. On Toxie's direction, Wender begins to channel all of the energy.
Magus storms into his castle to find the Dark Avengers siphoning away the source of his power. He tries to absorb it in order to power himself up, but finds that Ragnarok is converting it and making it unstable. Ragnarok proceeds to knock him out and he is webbed up by Apaec.
The Thunderbolts confront the Dark Avengers, assuming they've been betrayed by Cage, Toxic Doxie attempts to attack, but Satana incapacitates her. Trickshot is knocked out by Boomerang's 'rangs while Troll destroys Ragnarok's hammer, enabling Hyde and Juggernaut to take him down. Cage easily pounds Dark Spider-Man, noting he doesn't have a spider sense. Though they stopped the Dark Avengers, they can't free Erik Wender from the energy pipeline, Skaar's sword and stabs Wender with it, saving the world and erasing the dystopic future.
The Thunderbolts bring in the Dark Avengers. Toxic Doxie attempts an escape by controlling Songbird, only for the Dark Avengers to be subdued by their nanites, their control resting with Kell, the only surviving F.A.C.T. member. The Quinjet arrives to take Kell and the Dark Avengers home. On the Quinjet, Doxie mind controls Skaar into smashing the controls, causing the plane to fall. Moonstone flies to intercept, while at the same time, Man-Thing opens a portal, causing both the Quinjet and Moonstone to vanish. Man-Thing explains that he set the portal for the Raft and takes his teammates there, but strangely the Quinjet is missing. Walker's Quinjet crashes, from the wreckage, a wounded Kell exits and spots Iron Man. As she asks for help, he kills her.
The Dark Avengers and Warden Walker have ended up in parallel world and have been captured by an alternate version of the Avengers who try to find out who they are as they do not have counterparts in their universe. Pym disables the Dark Avengers' control nanites and replace them with their own control devices. As he gets to work, Toxic Doxie begins to regain consciousness. The alternate Pym is also trying to figure out how to restore a microscopic Wasp to normal size. He protect against her against a protozoan. Despite her pleas to be put out of her misery, he refuses, believing he can restore her. Then suddenly, his motor functions are controlled by Doxie, who forces him to free her before reworking his control implant to force him to serve her. She then asks about this universe's Iron Man's operation. Pym explains that Iron Man seeks out capable recruits to integrate into his armors. They never take them off, for the suits feed them and removes wastes. Upon hearing that the lab has a multitude of scientific endeavors, Doxie becomes intrigued.
Trickshot wakes in Stark's lab to see U.S. Agent restored, Ragnarok still unconscious, and Ai Apaec in miniature form. June Covington brings them up to speed about the new world and they watch the battle on a screen in the lab.
Iron Man returns to his tower to find that Hank Pym had been experimenting on Ragnarok, removing his control implant. He also notices that the other Dark Avengers are missing. When Pym mentions having regrown U.S. Agent's limbs and shrunk Ai Apaec, Iron Man lashes out at him and realizes that Pym's control implant had been reworked by June. The Dark Avengers make their way through Hell's Kitchen and end up fighting this universe version of Spider-Man.
The Dark Avengers have been captured by Spider-Man's gang, who demand to know what they did to Hawkeye. Covington, communicating with Ai Apaic, explains that he's been poisoned on his left side and tells them to suck out the venom. Colleen Wing quick moves into action. Shang-Chi then demands to know why Covington dresses like the Scarlet Witch. Misty Knight assumes that since they were heading for Strangetown, they must be working for Strange. U.S. Agent insists that they were going to stop Strange, who had restarted the turf wars, and save the whole city. Daredevil punches Trickshot, stating that there are no heroes anymore, just superhumans who fight each other constantly. Convington mentally suggests luring in their captors and gas them but U.S. Agent denies her, reasoning that her toxin would be blown away in the wind. Instead, he notes outloud that Hell's Kitchen has been kept independent of the other superhuman factions. Misty explains that Spider-Man had changed. His webbing doesn't stick to his allies, Grimm's monsters can't stand the smell of it and it screw up the Iron Men armors. Suddenly, the Dark Avengers are freed from the webbing, as Spider-Man doesn't consider them enemies and agrees to accompany them to Strangetown, along with a select few of his gang. The Dark Avengers and Spider-Man gang arrive in Strangetown, where they are attacked by the All-Seeing Eye and the Soulsnake.
The Dark Avengers battle Dr. Strange, when Misty Knight calls for Captain America's Shield, Dr. Strange conjures up a deadly spell, only for it to deflect off the shield and kill Clea. Enraged, Strange readies an even more powerful spell, but Ai Apaec hits him with all the poison he had, killing the Sorcerer Supreme.
Skaar, meanwhile, learns from Reed Richards and a captured AIM agent that AIM was behind the Dark Earth, having twisted reality. Moonstone and Skaar are freed, and the united Dark Avengers go after AIM. They escape the pocket dimension as it collapses, returning to New York of Earth-616. Skaar abandons them, and Toxic Doxie steps on a still-shrunken Ai Apaec possibly killing him. But due his god like status this has still not been confirmed.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
- Superhuman Strength: Ai Apaec possesses superhuman strength He is able to rip a man's head off with the same effort it would take a normal person to break a pencil.
- Superhuman Speed: Ai Apaec's superhumanly strong legs allow him to run and move at speeds greater than the finest human athlete.
- Superhuman Stamina: Ai Apaec's musculature produces almost no fatigue toxins during physical activity. As a result, his body possesses almost limitless physical stamina in all activities.
- Superhumanly Dense Tissue: Ai Apaec's skin, muscle, and bone tissue has roughly three times the density of the same tissue in the body of a human. This contributes, at least somewhat, to Ai Apaec's superhuman strength and his weight.
- Superhuman Durability: The tissues of Ai Apaec's body are considerably harder and more resistant to physical injury than the body of a human being. Ai Apaec is capable of withstanding great impact forces, exposure to extremes in both temperature and pressures, falls from great heights, and powerful energy blasts without sustaining injury.
- Superhuman Agility: Ai Apaec's agility, balance, and bodily coordination are enhanced to levels that are beyond the natural physical limits of even the finest human athlete.
- Superhuman Reflexes: Ai Apaec's reaction time is enhanced to a level that is beyond the natural physical limits of even the finest human athlete.
- Immortality: Ai Apaec is functionally immortal, as he is considered long-lived. He has not aged since reaching adulthood and is immune to the effects of aging. He is also immune to all known Earthly diseases and infections. But he was was crushed by June Covington's foot when he was shrunk by Pym Particles, if he survived has still not been revealed.
- Regenerative Healing Factor: Despite his body's high degree of resistance to physical injury, Ai Apaec can be injured. However, he is capable of repairing damaged or destroyed tissue with superhuman levels of speed and efficiency. However, Ai Apaec is not capable of regenerating missing limbs or organs without the aid of outside magical forces. But he was was crushed by June Covington's foot when he was shrunk by Pym Particles, if he survived has still not been revealed.
- Venomous Bite: Ai Apaec possess a pair of long, sharp teeth that contain a powerful poison.
- Enhanced Olfactory and Tactile Sense: Has a highly acute sense of smell and touch.
- Wall-Climbing: Ai Apaec's spider legs allow him to cling to solid surfaces and scale walls.
- Underwater Adaptation: Similar to a diving bell spider, Ai Apaec can wrap himself in a bell-shaped web held by the hairs on his legs and abdomen and collect oxygen from the surrounding water, which is exchanged with other gases such as carbon dioxide through osmosis, allowing him to survive underwater "indefinitely".
- Biological/Organic Webbing Generation: Apaec has the ability to organically produce his own silk webbing from glands within his forearms, it's unknown if its limited by his body's health and nutrition as well as other people with arachnid powers such as Kaine.
- No Spider-Sense: Unlike Spider-man he doesn't have a spider-sense so he can be taken by surprise.
- Pym Particles: When trapped in an alternate reality Ai Apaec was shrunk using pym particles by June Covington. Due to his size he was crushed by June's foot when they returned to their home reality.
- Ai Apaec in the comics is based on Ai Apaec also called decapitador was the chief deity of the Mochica culture, was one of their gods punishers, the most feared and adored.
- 28 Appearances of Ai Apaec (Earth-616)
- 18 Images featuring Ai Apaec (Earth-616)
- Quotations by or about Ai Apaec (Earth-616)
- Character Gallery: Ai Apaec (Earth-616)
- Fan-Art Gallery: Ai Apaec (Earth-616)
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- ↑ Osborn #1
- ↑ Osborn #2
- ↑ Osborn #3
- ↑ Osborn #4
- ↑ Osborn #5
- ↑ Spider-Island: Deadly Hands of Kung Fu #2
- ↑ Spider-Island: Deadly Hands of Kung Fu #3
- ↑ New Avengers Vol 2 #18
- ↑ New Avengers Vol 2 #19
- ↑ New Avengers Vol 2 #20
- ↑ New Avengers Vol 2 #21
- ↑ New Avengers Vol 2 #22
- ↑ New Avengers Vol 2 #23
- ↑ Dark Avengers #175
- ↑ Dark Avengers #177
- ↑ Dark Avengers #178
- ↑ Dark Avengers #179
- ↑ Dark Avengers #180
- ↑ Dark Avengers #181
- ↑ Dark Avengers #182
- ↑ Dark Avengers #183
- ↑ Dark Avengers #184
- ↑ Dark Avengers #186
- ↑ Dark Avengers #187
- ↑ Dark Avengers #188
- ↑ Dark Avengers #189
- ↑ Dark Avengers #190
|Like this? Let us know!|