Oceanus (father), Tethys (mother), Cronus, Coeus, Crius, Hyperion, Ophion (uncles, Titans), Ceto, Dione, Eurybia, Mnemosyne, Phoebe, Rhea, Themis (aunts, Titanesses), Actaeus, Acheron, Alpheus, Asopus, Asterion, Cebren, Cephissus, Cisseus, Cocytus, Inachos, Ladon, Meander, Pactolus, Penaeus, Peneicus, Phlegethon, Phorcys, Po, Sangarius, Scamander, Simoeis, Sphericus, Strymon, Termessus, Tiber (brothers, river-gods), Aornis, Callirrhoe I, Calypso, Clymene, Doris, Electra, Eurynome, Metis, Perseis, Ortheis, Philyra, Styx (sisters, Oceanides), Japet, Nereus (uncles/brothers-in-law), Pallas, Zeus (cousins/brothers-in-law), Perimela (first wife, deceased), Callirrhoe II, Peirene, Castalia (daughters by Perimela), Melpomene (second wife/cousin), Aglaope, Himeropa, Ligeia, Leucosia, Parthenope, Peisinoe, Thelchtereia (daughters, The Sirens), Calliope, Clio, Erato, Euterpe, Polyhymnia, Terpischore, Thalia, Urania (sisters-in-law/cousins, The Muses), Athena, Aegina, Aglaea, Daphne, Echo, Euphrosyne, Nike, Syrinx, Thalia, Iris and the Harpies, (nieces) Orpheus, Bia, Kratos, Zealos (nephews), Aphrodite, Asteria, Demeter, Eos, Hades, Helios, Hera, Vesta, Leto, Poseidon, Selene (cousins)
|Affiliation||ally of Eurystheus, former ally of the Olympian Gods|
|Base Of Operations||New York City, New York; formerly Aetolia (now part of modern Greece)|
|Occupation||Bodyguard and Henchman to Eurystheus, former River-God|
|Unusual Features||Achelous sometimes takes the appearance of a Minotaur, a man with the head and tail of a bull.|
|Origin||Achelous is a member of the Olympian race, once worshipped by the people of Greece and the Roman Empire.|
|Place of Birth||Olympus|
|Place of Death||New York City|
|Creators||Frank Tieri, Mark Texeira|
|First Appearance||Last Appearance|
|Hercules Vol 3 #1||Hercules Vol 3 #5|
Achelous ws a member of the Olympian race, once worshiped by the people of Greece and the Roman Empire. He is Olympian river god and bodyguard to Eurystheus. He has a strength approaching that of Hercules.
Once a chief River God, Achelous is the son of the Titans Oceanus and Tethys. Achelous traveled to Claydon to search for the daughter of King Oeneus and Queen Althea, a mortal named Deianira. Deianira was also an interest of Hercules and so, Achelous challenged him for Deianira's hand in marriage. As the battle raged on, Achelous transformed into a bull and charged at Hercules. He avoided the attack and shattered Achelous' right horn. With a hatred towards Hercules, Achelous agreed to help Eurystheus, Hercules' cousin and bitter rival.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
Superhuman Strength:Achelous strength is above the average Olympian and is sufficient to enable him to lift 90 tons. Superhuman Speed: Achelous' superhumanly strong legs allow him to run and move at speeds greater than the finest human athlete.
Superhuman Agility: Achelous' agility, balance, and bodily coordination are enhanced to levels that are beyond the natural physical limits of the finest human athlete.
Superhuman Reflexes: Achelous' reflexes are similarly greatly enhanced and are much more superior to the reflexes of the finest human athlete.
Superhuman Stamina: Achelous' highly advanced musculature produces almost no fatigue toxins, granting him almost limitless physical stamina in all activities.
Superhuman Durability: Achelous is highly resistant to physical injury. He is capable of withstanding high caliber bullets, falls from great heights, powerful energy blasts, and extreme temperatures and pressures without sustaining injury. He is also capable of surviving, unprotected, in the vacuum of space for a brief period of time. His resistance to injury surpasses the majority of his race.
- Regenerative Healing Factor: Despite his great resilience, it is possible to injure Achelous. However, like all members of his race, he is capable of recovering from injuries with superhuman speed and efficiency. However, he is unable to regenerate missing limbs or organs and would require magical assistance to do so. Achelous is also immune to all known Earthly diseases and infections. He is highly resistant to most drugs and toxins but can be affected if exposed to great quantities.
- Suspended Aging: Like all members of his race, Achelous is immune to the effects of aging and has not aged since reaching adulthood. Despite being thousands of years old, Achelous possesses the appearance vitality of a man in his physical prime.
Magical Energy Manipulation: Achelous has presumably the ability channel mystical energy to teleport and create energy blasts, but this was not show yet.
- Shape-shifting: Achelous mostly appears in human form, but is capable to turn himself into a bull, a snake, and a combination of his animal and humanoid forms to turn into a snake-tailed minotaur.
|Power Grid |
Class 90; Achelous can lift 90 tons .
- 12 Appearances of Achelous (Earth-616)
- Media Achelous (Earth-616) was Mentioned in
- 2 Images featuring Achelous (Earth-616)
- Quotations by or about Achelous (Earth-616)
- Character Gallery: Achelous (Earth-616)
- Fan-Art Gallery: Achelous (Earth-616)
- Achelous at the Appendix to the Marvel Universe
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- ↑ Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe A-Z hardcover Vol. 14
- ↑ OHOTMU:Thor & Hercules - Encyclopedia Mythologica
|Like this? Let us know!|